At our 9 month appointment we discussed the issue with the pediatrician and she recommended we get it checked out - just to make sure there wasn't anything concerning going on behind the scenes. It took us 2.5 months to actually get an appointment, so on the eve of her 1 year birthday we finally saw the doctor.
I have to hand it to those doctors and their assistants - most the time I can hardly wipe her nose without resistance - and they were able to get put eye drops in, direct her to look into the light, etc. The great news is that all is well - no evidence of any growths or other issues that might cause the flame ups.
The interesting news is that the doctor informed us that Annabel has myopia, or near-sightedness. Already! Of course, it is expected as it is a genetic condition and both of us are near-sighted (I can't see my hands without my glasses, even when they're up to my face) - but it caught me off guard because she's so young. There's nothing to be done at this point except be aware of how much time she spends looking at things like an iPhone, limit time in front of computer when she's ready, etc. Right now her attention span isn't much more than a few minutes anyway, but she already knows how to flip through photos on our phones so it could easy snowball.
Upon leaving the office I felt....well, bad. Or, maybe it was guilt. It was a reminder that we have given her these things that she didn't choose and are not directly influenced or preventable through nurture. And what I have, I've passed it along, for better or for worse.
But on a lighter note, she doesn't seem to care and really enjoyed the fish tank at the doctor's office.
1 comment:
Oh Lisa. What a feeling. These girls are genetically our own ...and as you said, for better or for worse. They get our good traits and our bad.
Will she maybe grow out of it?
Either way she is darling and will look so cute in little girl glasses. My first pair had Snoppy on the arm.
Post a Comment