Monday, September 10, 2012

Happy Second Birthday Dear Annabel!

Happy birthday to our darling Annabel!  The past 12 months have been a blast - you've grown so much, and as parents, I believe we have too.  In your toddlerhood you are becoming a very independent and fun-loving child who knows what she wants, and when she wants it. 

These days you want to do everything by yourself - from putting on your clothes and shoes to buckling yourself in your carseat - and are constantly exclaiming "No, Mommy, I do it!"  And if do I help in even the slightest way you need to start all over again so you can have truely done it all yourself. 

You are a bit shy at first around new places and people and are often on your best behavior in these situations.  Once you warm up your voice grows and you're more adventurous, but generally you have very good manners - saying your "pleases" (often when prompted) and more recently "thank you's" (unprompted! yes, it surprised us too!). 

You love to go swimming, eat tomatoes off the vine in the garden, take walks around the neighborhood, expirament with playdough, have tea (or coffee) parties, watch animals and pets (from afar), brush your teeth (?!?), and look through pictures on our phones.   You're a super fast runner and jumper.  You're curious about everything we encounter on our walks from the ants on the ground to every rock and stick passed by.  We have to be more cognizant of our actions becaue you emulate us "talking" on the phone and "driving" the car (thankfully you also buckle up!). 

Luckily you still enjoy books and are starting to "read" us books as well!  Yesterday you read me "A Lion for Luis" and in some parts your really got it down ("Help!  I've been eaten by a lion!")  I was really impressed! 

So you don't like to brush your hair, eat eggs or be told "no"...there are a tremendous number of things you do love (have I mentioned how much you like to whine?).   Not ever moment is perfect - it's still parenting and toddlerhood - and as such it can be challenging at times.  Admittedly, for me, your first year was tough...you didn't seem to like a whole lot and I had a difficult time transitioning into my new role as "mom".  But this second year has been been a really fun adventure for all of us.  Thank you my darling for sending us on such an exciting journey that continues to delight us, and keep us on our toes!

2 Years

One Year

Two Weeks

No comments: